Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I am getting discharged from the hospital today. I will be staying here at the hotel on "Hotel Status" so I can be close to Zane and breastfeed. Zane is still in the NICU but is doing really well. I started breastfeeding twice a day on Monday and Zane did really well from the start. They said that babies at 33 weeks gestation often times don't have the skills to suck/breath/swallow yet. They continue to be amazed by how much older Zane acts than he is. The doctor was asking me if I could have been further along than 33 weeks and I told him "No, we are pretty positive about the timing" - he said, "Well, you were the one at the party, so I believe you."

Right now I am breastfeeding every other feeding. They took Zane off the IV yesterday and all the supplements they were adding. Now that he is purely on breastmilk we wait to see if he starts gaining some weight. He is holding his body temperature good, peeing and pooping great! He is a great eater and they keep upping the amount they feed him!! He is so sweet and tiny. Right now he weighs 4 lbs. 4 oz. Levi hasn't been able to meet him yet. Last night I asked him where Baby Zane was and he came over lifted up my shirt like he always does and then looked very puzzled...he actually noticed that my tummy looked different!!

My body is doing really well. I haven't been nauseous or thrown up since delivery. This is a relief because with Levi it took me 8 months AFTER his birth to stop throwing up. I have been up and walking around since the day I had Zane. Every single person that sees me is puzzled, they say, "You had a C-Section. Right?" They can't believe I am up walking around like normal. When the ovarian tumor was removed I was cut vertically from my belly button down - it was brutal recovering from that surgery. So having an incision low down and horizontal doesn't seem like a big deal at all.

Thank you all for you prayers!! We are doing really well! It is still surreal that I'm not pregnant anymore and Zane is actually here. It is especially odd since I have absolutely nothing ready for him at home!! Luckily, I had just ordered his bassinet last week and it just arrived!!

No comments: